Moving Us Forward.
BCVision is a community-driven movement for change in Battle Creek, Michigan, focused on creating a place where we can all live, work and play. Our goal is to create a thriving community where there is equitable opportunity for residents to have the income, education and resources they need to be successful.
This long-term community economic development initiative is designed to address the most critical challenges impacting Battle Creek’s future: jobs, talent development, and creating a culture of vitality.
These were the most pressing issues identified by thousands of community members who provided input and quickly became the over-arching goals guiding BCVision’s work since launching in 2015.
BCVISION GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Transform our community: Commit to community change for the benefit of all with an emphasis on equity.
- Plan and work together: Involve key stakeholders across sectors; value and leverage community assets.
- Engage all community members as genuine partners.
- Use shared data to set the agenda and improve over time.
- Champion the cause: Be an ambassador for community change.
A COMMUNITY OF VOICES
Comprised of residents and individuals representing every sector — public, private, academic and nonprofit — as well as neighborhoods across Battle Creek, the work of BCVision is implemented by a Steering Committee and six Action Teams:
- College & Career Readiness: Ensure all students — regardless of race, gender or socio-economic background — are successful in pursuing careers and life paths that lead to their economic stability.
- Culture of Vitality: Create a culture of vitality that supports job growth and talent development by positioning Battle Creek as a place where people choose to live, work, and play.
- Kindergarten Readiness Improve early childhood programs to help every child have a great start; better support parents to ensure children are safe, healthy, prepared and eager to succeed in school and in life.
- Large Business Collaboration among Battle Creek’s large employers to retain and attract businesses to increase the number of jobs and ensure a strong workforce is connected to these jobs, ultimately resulting in employment for all residents and strong talent for employers.
- Small Business: Make Battle Creek home to a thriving small business economy characterized by an increasing number of successful small businesses and growth in jobs.
- Workforce Development: Provide equitable opportunities for all Battle Creek residents — regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic background — to gain the required skills for permanent jobs that provide both access and visibility into career advancement, as well as lead to family economic security.